Monday, July 28, 2008

What NOT to say on a dom interview.

Everything I said.

Okay, no. I lied. I wasn't that bad. But, honestly, it was the first time in my life where I walked out of the interview and didn't think I nailed it. I've always been able to land jobs, and the reason for that ia that I'm an amazing conversationalist. Put me in any room, any place, and I can get whatever I need from whomever is there.

But last night? Nope. I just wasn't on point.

*******

It wasn't that the interview went badly, really. It's just that I wasn't my usual professional and articulate self. The top three things that I should've done differently:

1) I shouldn't have asked off the bat if they required STD testing. The way I asked sounded like "I can't be sexin' for a living, so if that's what you want I'M OUT."

However, (and maybe it's just my overly self-critical self saying this) I think I might have made it sound like I have something to hide.

Honestly, after my previous bad experience (wherein they asked me to shell out a hundred+ bucks in order to pay for STD testing - to make sure that I could do "yellow-" "red-" and "brown-showers," they assured me), I've been apprehensive about looking for dominatrix work. I love the work - as long as it's legit.

2) I should have asked more questions. I assumed off the bat that this place needed switch girls. Meaning, women who are both sub and dom. One of the girls came in during my interview and asked what I'd be doing, and I immediately said "switch work, hopefully." She kind of looked at me strangely, which makes me think now that perhaps that particular dungeon only does dom work. If that's the case, I looked like some newbie who didn't do her homework.

3) I should've been a bit more professional. Not overly professional, cuz DUH. But, I mean, I could've shaken my interviewers hand, asked her name, that sort of thing. I'm so used to dungeons being two steps away from being brothels; I didn't even think to be professional. This place was the most legit dungeon I've ever had the honor of interviewing for.

*******

Opera Singer also interviewed for the place. It seemed to her that I had the better interview; I stayed in longer with the interviewer, got a sneak peak (albeit accidentally) of a session, and spoke with some of the girls. We both just kind of shrug our shoulders and have a mutual understanding: we'd obviously like the work, but we'd be just as happy to see the other succeed.

I realized the other night, when hanging out with a bunch of my closer girlfriends, that I've indeed reached this strange new zenith of adulthood, wherein things are what they are. It's not that there are less challenges now; it's just that I don't care about adversity. I've been there and done that, and nothing fazes me anymore. I've spent a great deal of time and energy making my life as close to my ideal as possible, and at this stage of the game it's as close as it's ever been to perfect.

Maybe it's all the smoking I've been doing (cigs, weed, et al.), but I'm a lot more chillax. I know that I've done my best, that I'm doing my best, and that I'll continue to do my best, regardless of what the situation is - and, really, what else is there for me to do? I guess all of this is just a long-winded way of saying that right after I post this blog, I won't give last night's interview a second thought.

5 comments:

Annamarya Scaccia said...

dear, i'm happy you're a lot more chill now. ::hugs:: my phone's back to working so if you wanna call and talk, don't hesitate!

muah, miss you hunny!

MarĂ­a said...

First...let me apologize for my lack of appearances over here. I've been battling a nasty case of tonsillitis.

And now - Dominatrix? What I miss? I'm lost...

I don't pay close enough attention I guess...

Maria said...

Thanks, Annamarya! I'm glad you found the blog :)

Hey Maria! No worries about your absence. I hope you feel better!

I decided to try out domming, but I've had less than stellar experiences. Apparently, the summertime is the slow season for this kind of work, so no one's hiring :(

But believe me - for $80-100/hr, I'd gladly go back to beating up men!

dejanae said...

u lead an um...interesting life
when did u start with the dom stuff?

Maria said...

about a month or two ago, I guess... and if all goes according to plan, I'll be back at BC in the fall. maybe we can take a class together!