Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It's Never as Good as the First Time... Part 2

The comfort and safety of staying in one place - they’re components of what I like to call “static electricity”. Static electricity powers mundane existence and shocks people whose systems naturally resist the blind perpetuating of norms.

I am one of those people.


*****


That's part of something I came up with while doctoring the last post. I'd been trying to make it more palpable to journalistic minds, as I was attempting to send it in for a contest in the NY Press... And, well, voila! The above excerpt didn't really fit into what I was doing, but it sounded purrty...

And the contest? After careful observation, I've come to the conclusion that the editors are looking for something that isn't me. And that's cool.



It's now been a full three days since I had that conversation with Clairvoyant Symphony, and my lungs are full of mucus. My mind keeps flitting to other topics: finishing up Cloudsplitter so I can return it to Jazz Star Crony, the need to take antibiotics so I can heal once and for all, wondering about blogging and why it's pulled me in.

I'm thinking about the rest of the conversation that I had with CS, and all I remember is saying that I'd "date a 10."

We'd been talking about dating and fucking, and somehow got to the point where CS was saying that all the guys she's fucked have been hot, but a lot of the guys she's dated have been lukewarm, at best.

I agreed; I'd thought that lesser-looking men would try doubly hard to get me off, and for the most part I'd been right. I dated them and fucked them without a second thought. The narcissistic part of me thought that every average-looking guy I slept with should consider themselves lucky; they'd been deigned worthy enough to experience my pussy and (sometimes) my affection.

But what about the hot guys, CS had countered. What about the guys who knew they were hot? The guys who could bag a girl simply by innocuously bumping into her? Would I be willing to date one of them?

CS had done extensive research on the subject, having asked men if they were willing to date a woman who is a 10, and women if they were willing to date a man who is a 10. All of them had hesitated to answer in the affirmative. Fucking a 10 was understandable and legitimate - but dating a 10 seemed stupid.

The logic went like this: As a woman, I know that men are (mostly) dogs and that women are (mostly) shady; so the odds are stacked against me in the first place - why test them? It seems logical that the result of dating a 10 would only be heartbreak. I'd fall for them, they'd play me, and at the end I'd feel bad for having ignored my own advice. Why go through all that?

Better to stay with the less-than-10s, to not trip up the red flags, to live and love safely.

At least, that's what the majority said.

I objected.

I hadn't realized it while I was talking to CS, but I've met men who have started out 10s. Caleb was one of them. He was charming, intelligent, passionate, talented, and oh-so-good-looking. He was the type of guy that girls would fall over - literally.

Being Caleb's girlfriend was a lesson in humility.

Each day, I was reminded that I could be replaced at any moment. Flirtatious come-ons and come-hither stares were directed at Caleb by strangers, and it was easy to get jealous. These women were gorgeous, funny, talented, brilliant people - and they'd obviously recognized the same attributes in Caleb that I had seen.

But then again, I ain't too shabby, either. And Caleb wasn't lost on the idea of losing me to another gorgeous, funny, talented, brilliant person.

Anyway, there I was, with my 10, unabashedly and unhesitatingly cavorting sexually with a real-life 10... Until I wasn't any more.

Long story short, I wasn't mentally or emotionally prepared for a real-life, you-for-me-and-me-for-you relationship. I liked the idea of it, but the reality of it was just too real. So we ended our relationship, and I haven't dated a 10 since.



"But what is this '10' nonsense, anyway?" you're probably asking.

A 10 is someone who satisfies the more blatant and obvious prerequisites of attractiveness: physical good looks, financial stability, status, et al. But more than that, a 10 has those sought-after qualities that you don't realize you want until you see: the ability to make decisions at a split second's notice, the calming effect s/he has on your soul, the hours spent pontificating on the merits of a dual party political system, etc. A 10 has all of those qualities and is rare to find.

So, given that definition, why shouldn't you go after a 10?

According to the people queried by CS, you shouldn't go after a 10 because there's a heightened possibility of loss. If things don't go the right way, not only will you feel bad about yourself for getting dumped (since that's the presumed outcome), but you'll feel worse about it because you didn't listen to yourself in the first place. You'd been telling yourself that this 10 is going to play you for a fool - and look! It's happened!

I say: Why assume that, in the first place? Why assume that you'll be this 10's fool? Why stack the odds against yourself and your possible future from the get-go? It's a self-fulfilling prophesy!

Sure, a pragmatic world-view relies on statistics, and your experience tells you that you'll be left in the dust... But... S/HE'S A 10! DO NOT FORGET THAT!

May I remind you again why this person is a 10?

This person is a 10 because your conscious and your subconscious minds see things in them that are worthwhile. These parts of your brain feel safe about the conclusions they've drawn. They know you and they know what you're like and what you like and what you can handle, and they're screaming at the top of their lungs: "10!"

So why ignore them?

There's obviously something about this 10 that's drawing you in, and you should see where it goes. It's the case with 6s and 7s and 8s and 9s - and to stop yourself from possibly being with a 10 just because they're a 10 seems ludicrous. Following this logic, you're only willing to date people who are less than your ideal - because you're afraid of what may happen if you fall for your ideal. You're afraid of putting yourself out there, becoming completely vulnerable, assuming the role of a susceptible victim, joining the hordes of stupid people who put themselves in a position to get played.

But getting played only happens when you let yourself fall, and letting yourself fall is what happens when you love wholeheartedly. You should let yourself fall for people who are good for you. Otherwise, you're just setting yourself up for pain and resentment.



"It's easier said than done."

I know that old addage and I know that it's true.

There are times when I catch myself ignoring my own advice. In these moments, I'm shying away from opportunities that may be too good to be true. I tell myself that I'd rather preserve the untainted memory of something perfect than fuck with it and possibly disturb my opinion of it.

Then I remind myself that hypotheticals are for writing, and living is for life.

I remind myself that it's just as possible that I fall for an 8 and he cheats on me, than I fall for a 10 and he cheats on me.

I remind myself that I will not regret dating a 10 because I will have looked the possibilities in the eyes and have said, "So what?"

If, at the end, my 10 plays me for a fool - it's okay.

I'll have lived and loved some more, and at the end of any relationship - with a 10 or not - isn't that what we all say, anyway?

12 comments:

SongDynasty said...

Honestly. I posed this question at work, through email, through text, etc. The ratio of no to yes was like 8 billion to 2. Why do we say no now? Because once upon a time, we all did. Unfortunately, we're probably jaded from the people we had those relationships with -- we were young, all of us, and we all mistreated each other because we didn't know better. It could be a self-fulfilling prophecy, as well; women who enter the relationship with the stirrings of insecurity might push the 10s they do manage to get away in protection.

I lifted my brows when you said that. Go you. I'll stay where I'm at until my confidence ultimately tops my concerns.

SongDynasty said...

once upon a time, we all said yes, I should say.

Iron Pugilist said...

I personally dislike using the term '10', as if such an infallible mortal existed or any number used to gauge a person's quality. But I'll use the term for the sake of this comment.

I've never met a 10 before and even if I did, I doubt she would even consider going out with a 0 like me, regardless of whatever effort I exert to win her over or how much confidence I have. And if I did- by some miracle- date one, I would ponder if she really is a 10, for lowering her standards to a point that she would even go out with a 0.

On your case, I wonder if he really is a 10, if the fact that he's 'perfect' and yours couldn't stop you from letting him go- unless something really interesting happened at the end of the relationship. And now that you're not looking for the kind of guy that he was, has the 'imperfect' factor been added to what you think is an ideal quality for a guy that you desire? Wouldn't that totally reconfigure your idea of what a 10 is?

I'm not really sure if I can match or outrank any woman, but I believe the best I can do is prove every second that I am worth being with them.

...naive as all that may sound.

Maria said...

SD - I feel like there's stuff I said in the car that I've left out on the blog... Or maybe not?

Either way, "I'll stay where I'm at until my confidence ultimately tops my concerns."---that's a great way of putting it. In the end, I guess most people just don't believe that a relationship with a 10 would work out (for whatever reason). I wonder how many of those minds would change if their "confidence topped their concerns"? Moreover, what does it say that so many of our generation are so jaded? Do you think it's possible for people to have something approximating "happily ever after" if they don't believe it exists?

IP - Have you ever been with someone who seems too good to be true because they get you and you get them so well that it's almost a religious experience? You compliment each others' personalities without meaning to do so, and the problems you have with each other are the kind of problems you want to have...?

Well, that's a 10. It doesn't just mean that the person fits some shallow profile of what you're looking for. It means that they're as close to being Mr. or Ms. Right as you've found thus far.

The thing with relationships, though, is that if you're not ready for one, it doesn't matter if the other person is a 2 or a 10 - it's not gonna work out. That was the case between me and Caleb.
I'm not looking for a guy who is a carbon copy of Caleb, but there are definitely traits that I'd like to see duplicated...

"I would ponder if she really is a 10, for lowering her standards to a point that she would even go out with a 0...I'm not really sure if I can match or outrank any woman, but I believe the best I can do is prove every second that I am worth being with them....naive as all that may sound."

That's incredibly sweet of you to say, but speaking as a woman who's been around the way, it also smacks of a lack of self-respect. Why do you consider yourself a 0? Don't you realize that that's the first step to being treated like a 0? We've all done our share of horrible deeds, but none of us are completely irredeemable - even Hitler and Mussolini had their selling points! :P

You seem like a nice guy, IP. Don't sell yourself short!

OUR VAGINAS ARE HAVING A QUARTER-LIFE CRISIS. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SongDynasty said...

cmon, iron. quit kicking rocks.

maria, I have the memory of a pebble. We were high and pushing out sentences as they constructed. You think I can remember any of that?? We had conversations in like 3 different spots that day lol

xoxo

Iron Pugilist said...

I wish I could think myself higher, but I'm sure at least one person in the world thinks I am a 0, so I've used that value as the margin. I'd rather live comfortably accepting that I belong to the lowest rank and give my thanks to people who think I'm not.

Self-respect? I guess to a certain extent, I do still have some of that since I'm not doing stupid things. But the basis of my self-respect is how much people in general respect me and I don't know if I have much of that at all. I'm just a street thug with a blog, feigning intellect and wisdom.

SD
I know, but all the heads have gone sore.

SongDynasty said...

IP: Defining who you are based on other people's opinions of you will keep you dissonant. You will never know who you are, because there is always, ALWAYS an opposing side. And, opinions ALWAYS change -- people outgrow each other, they leave once the lesson is learned or taught, they simply CHANGE. You will think you have a grasp on yourself until that moment happens, and then everything will fall apart again, because you were too reliant on their view of you.

I hope you will one day stop being so dependent on other people and their reactions in order to form an identity. I was there once. I still lapse into it every once in a while. I's a miserable existance, man.

Iron Pugilist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Iron Pugilist said...

"I've been there before"

That sounds familiar.

There's a reason why I don't use that phrase to anyone, but that's another story.

Identity to me is simply a summary of life experiences so far that has been moulded together and embedded into an individual to be a basis of lifestyle and personality. We are what we are because of how what we interpret and learn from life experiences, and since all- if not most- life experiences involve other individuals which have an identity of their own. Having said that, I cannot say that people other than me aren't factors of what I am.

Perhaps it's how you took in feedback, the kind people that surround you or a better defense mechanism- either way, you have confidence and resolve apparently better than mine and I congratulate you for that. I have yet to achieve the same and be finally convinced that my self-worth, wisdom and confidence isn't just blind arrogance, as I have been conditioned to accept.

Life is full of disappointments and betrayal, which everyone has most probably experienced- but I don't think a lot of people have been told that these misfortunes that happen to them are justified. So what do I do to prevent these things from happening to me again? The "easy" way out, at most would probably say: bring myself to the lowest possible standing and live humbly. YOu can't fall further down if you're already at the bottom, I would say.

My lifestyle has its advantages: I tend not to underestimate any situation, I'm very polite and every little praise gives me a sense of fulfillment. I'm the the employee who stays behind so that my co-workers can get home early. I'm the nice guy that women wouldn't want to date but will depend on as a friend. I'm the one who can't drink so I can drive everyone home. This has become my role in society, and until I am convinced there is a different truth out there for me- given what I've been through- then here I will stay.

Don't get me wrong- people who mistake my kindness as an excuse to abuse me have indeed paid the price.

dejanae said...

i know i'd be self-conscious as hell if i was dealin with a ten
u know how folk do
gon be giving you that 'whats he doin with her' look
that being said
if the ten is checkin for me, i aint about to turn him down

Maria said...

Pugs - "Identity to me is simply a summary of life experiences so far that has been moulded together and embedded into an individual to be a basis of lifestyle and personality." I couldn't have said it better myself.

"My lifestyle has its advantages." I have to admit, upon first reading your self-depracating words, my first instinct was to color your character in an unaggrandizing light. But after reading your response, I realize that there is much quiet dignity and beauty in the way your mind works. Thank you for sharing that.

D - Don't sell yourself short. 2, 4, or 10 - anyone who thinks you're the lucky half of the relationship has got it wrong. :)